Built in 1804 on land William Penn gave the Society of Friends in 1693. Tour guides provide information on Quaker history and beliefs. Available: 14-minute slide show, dioramas on Penn, video on Quakerism, Quaker artifacts provide information on Quaker history and William Penn.
4th and Arch Streets
Often called the "Nation's Church" because so many patriots, including Washington, Franklin & Morris worshiped in the beautiful Georgian building (1727-54). The Protestant Episcopal Church of the U.S. was organized here in 1789, with William White as its first Presiding Bishop. Christ Church burial grounds contain the graved of Revolutionary patriots and seven signers of the Declaration of Independence. Benjamin Franklin's grave is visible through the fence at 5th & Arch.
20 N. American Street
Philadelphia's oldest Jewish congregation established 1740. Services (Sephardic) held in private homes until 1782, when first building was erected in Cherry Alley. After three moves over next 200 years, the congregation returned to the historic area in 1976. Now adjoins National Museum of American Jewish History.
44 N. 4th Street
The first Jewish cemetery in the nation, begun on land purchased from the William Penn family in 1740. Declared a National Historic Landmark in 1956. Many members of Mikveh Israel congregation who served during the American Revolution are buried here, including Revolutionary War financier Hyam Solomon..
Spruce Street, west on 8th Street
The Institute is a library, archives, museum and educational center that preserves America's multi-cultural history, builds partnerships with new immigrant communities, and promotes diversity and cultural awareness. Exhibitions, cultural events and educational programs are presented throughout the year.
419 S. 6th Street
The oldest Catholic church in Philadelphia. Present building was erected on the site of small house-chapel established in 1733 by English Jesuits where, relying on William Penn's Charter of Privileges, the only public Catholic mass in the British Empire was celebrated in 1730s.
321 Willings Alley
Built in 1763, St. Mary's became the first cathedral of Philadelphia diocese in 1808. First parish school 1700s. Original entrance through churchyard on west changed to east as the church was enlarged and renovated over the years. Notables (John Barry, Michael Bouvier) buried in churchyard.
252 S. 4th Street
Only colonial Presbyterian church in Philadelphia still standing and it continuous use. Built in 1768 by Robert Smith, architect of St. Peter's Church. Pastor George Duffield, an ardent revolutionary, led his congregation in the cause of independence, earning Old Pine the name "Church of the Patriots." In the 1860s the building was remodeled in Greek Revival style.
412 Pine Street
Founded by German settlers in 1727, the congregation erected its first building on this site-on land bought in 1747 from John Penn. Present Federal period structure (1837) used materials from the original colonial church.
4th & Race Streets
The oldest continuously used Methodist church building in America, built in 1763. Francis Asbury preached first sermon in America here. Challenged the state in 1926 concerning proposed location of Benjamin Franklin Bridge, which would have demolished the church. Museum and library of early Methodist archives.
235 N. 4th Street
A national Historical Landmark built 1761 by Scotsman Robert Smith. rare Georgian design puts the wine-glass pulpit at the opposite end of the altar. Original box pews and rococo organ case. Steeple designed by William Strickland built in 1842. Notables buried in adjoining churchyard.
3rd & Pine Streets