Urban park with native trees surrounded by fine residential and commercial 19th, 19th and 20th-century buildings. One of Philadelphia's original five city squares planned by William Penn in 1683-renamed in 1825 to honor George Washington. Burial ground of over 2,000 unknown Revolutionary War soldiers. Tomb of the Unknown Soldier with eternal flame. Burial ground for early African Americans and victims of 1793 yellow fever epidemic.
Residential neighborhood named for William Penn's "Free Society of Traders." Many faithfully preserved 18th and early 19th-century houses. Harmonious streetscape includes Head House, America's oldest firehouse attached to the nation's last surviving colonial marketplace (located at Pine and Second Streets). Several historic houses of worship serve active family congregations.
Eclectic neighborhood of old and new. Elfreth's Alley, the nation's oldest residential street, is next door to Philadelphia's newest restaurants, art galleries and theaters. restored 18th-century houses, churches and factory buildings next to former warehouses converted into modern apartments, offices and artists' studios.